Sunday, September 9, 2007

Another boring blog

The concept of the blog is one that I will probably never fully embrace. The Internet has given people around the globe the ability to stand on the proverbial mountaintop and shout their inane opinions for the world to listen to. People seem to think their thoughts and ideas somehow gain validity when they spend 15 minutes setting up a Livejournal account and hiding behind a screen name so they can anonymously bitch about anything and everything. Dude, you're a 37 year old cash register jockey at HEB; just because now you CAN tell the world how you think My Chemical Romance sold out or Heath Ledger will make a terrible Joker in the new Batman movie doesn't mean you should.

Now, I understand that writing about how blogs suck in your new blog is some hypocritical shit, but I have my reasons. My Critiquing the Arts professor at the wonderful St. Edward's University told me to create this blog, and since he's been an editor at one esteemed professional newspaper, and I have worked for exactly zero, I figured I should probably take his advice.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with being opinionated, and it's not like I wish death on every blogger working out there in cyberspace; I just think the idea is a little silly. Some people would say that if you don't like blogs, fine, just don't read about them and don't complain. Let's look at this another way: I don't listen to, say, Fallout Boy or Mike Jones, but the modicum of their shitty music that I've been exposed to gives me the right to dislike them. And just because I don't listen to every song they put out doesn't mean I can't call them talentless hacks. Hopefully I'm not rambling and you see where I'm going with this.

On that note, welcome to my humble little blog. I'm not proud of it, but I guess I'll be updating pretty frequently, seeing as how it'd be nice to pass my Critiquing the Arts class. I'll be posting my own inane, worthless opinions every now and then, so feel free to read them, not read them, enjoy them, or think they suck.

One Love,
Travisty

No comments: