Monday, September 24, 2007

Is the St. Pauli Girl the Saint of beer?

The entire experience divined from drinking a St. Pauli Girl is magical. When you crack the cap off the bottle, a pungent aroma wafts toward you, smelling like...well you should drink one and find out what it smells like on your own. Next comes the best part--drinking! It's like a Heineken, only better. Now, I'm not one of those booze experts who can tell you St. Pauli is better because of the freshly grown hops or anything like that. The only thing I know is that it's the Ferarri to Heineken's Porsche. Best of all, it's a light beer, so it doesn't make you feel like you've been in a hotdog eating contest after drinking it the way Guiness does. But it's not too light; it isn't water in a beer can like Keystone.

Why are European beers so much better than ours?* When I was in Amsterdam, most bars and restaurants had a wopping two different beers on tap. One was Heineken, which is like the national beverage over there, but the other one was invariably Bud Light. If you live ANYWHERE in Europe, why would you drink Bud Light?

I write this drinking a Heineken, another fine beer that is just not doing it for me right now. I missed class, had to take my car into the shop, tried to help a friend with his bullshit identity crisis, broke a glass, lost $10, got some bad news from the guy who was supposed to be producing my album, and, on top of that, the season premiere of "Heroes" sucked. All I wanted was for my St. Pauli Girl to take me away to her kingdom of crisp flavor and smooth aftertaste. It's time to finish this blog and go turn out all the lights. Throw on some DJ Shadow and watch the streetlight that escapes in through my window make patterns on the ceiling until I fall asleep. And dream of my sweet St. Pauli Girl.


***With all due respect to Lone Star, Turbo Dog, Ziegenbach, Shiner, Sam Adams, Bass, Real Ale, Red Hook, Mississippi Mud, Rogue, and the highly underrated Arrogant Bastard Ale.

No comments: